Sleep is undoubtedly one of the essential requirements for the human body to function properly. It plays a vital role in ensuring your health and overall well-being. Many essential processes take place when you sleep. These include strengthening and restoration of muscles and the release of important hormones. You must sleep at least 8 hours at night to make your next day productive and full of enthusiasm.
As mattresses are the foundation of your sleep and make an enormous difference to your comfort, it’s important to choose the best mattress for your bedroom. Being unable to research which bed is worth the investment can lead to sleepless nights and painful mornings.
Here are some tips you should consider before buying to help you decide which bed mattress will suit your needs and preferences.
Choose from Different Materials
There are different types of mattresses you can choose from, but the most prominent types are memory foam, innerspring, and hybrids. Adjustable air mattresses, like Sleep Number, are also a popular option. Not only the type, but you also have to decide on the size whether you need a queen size, single bed, or king size mattress.
Keep in mind that each type has its advantages and disadvantages. So, it’s better to familiarize yourself before deciding.
- Memory Foam Mattress. There are specific mattresses that each person needs. For example, a mattress for joint pain is a memory foam mattress. This is because it is made from a moldable material that contours your body, absorbs your weight, and alleviates tensed areas. It can help maintain proper posture and align your spine, giving you a more comfortable sleep. The mattress also responds to temperature and has hypo-allergenic properties. However, if you don’t want sinking motions and getting warm, this mattress isn’t for you.
- Latex Mattress. This mattress is filled with latex foam, a breathable material, so you don’t have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night because of the hot feeling. If you have asthma or allergies, this is an excellent choice for you. Also, latex is more elastic and has more bounce than memory foam. Latex mattresses come in synthetic, natural, and blended variations.
- Innerspring Mattresses. These mattresses are the most popular and utilize coils, providing the traditional bounce. They give great support, have a wide variety of firmness measurements, and are inexpensive. However, they are less long-lasting than other mattresses.
- Air Mattresses. They allow you to customize the firmness depending on your preference by using an air pump to fill the mattress. There are two separate chambers on the side of the bed to make room for two sleepers with different choices of firmness levels.
- Hybrid Mattresses. An excellent hybrid mattress provides a combination of latex and memory foam on top of an innerspring mattress. This produces a combination of softness and comfort.
Consider Your Sleep Position
Your sleeping position is also an important consideration when choosing a mattress. Whatever your sleeping posture, the mattress should support your spine. This will ensure your comfort. Here are some guidelines you should follow based on your sleeping position.
- Back Sleepers require a surface that supports the alignment of the spine. There should be no space between the back and the bed surface to prevent muscle stress. Opt for a thinner top layer since back sleepers don’t need too many comfort layers. Remember that sleeping on your back makes you more likely to snore or experience sleep apnea, so if you’re prone to snoring, you may want to look into anti snoring mattresses. An adjustable mattress can help your snoring, too.
- For stomach sleepers, sleeping on the stomach puts too much pressure on the lumbar area. They need supportive beds to avoid the upper body from bowing down. So, choose a firm and thin layer rather than a thick and soft one to prevent neck and back pain.
- Side sleepers need enough mattress support to allow the shoulders and hips to sink, and to sustain the lumbar region and the waist. The spine should be parallel and straight to the floor while lying down.
Decide Your Preferred Firmness Level
When choosing the best mattress, you may select a soft or a hard mattress depending on your personal preference. However, according to research in Spain, people sleeping on medium to firm mattresses have less back pain. On the universal comfort scale, one being the softest and ten being the hardest, 5.6 to 7 works well for most because it offers both hug and sinkage.
Your sleeping position also contributes to your decision. If you’re a stomach sleeper, choose a medium or medium to firm mattress to prevent your hips from sinking. Such a mattress will keep your spine straightened.
If you sleep on your back, opt for a mattress that can support your weight to alleviate tension in your spine. And if you’re a side sleeper, a soft to medium mattress is the best for you to shape your body and decrease the pressure from the shoulders and hips.
Women favor a firmer mattress to carry their midsection weight. However, too much firmness may be uncomfortable for lighter sleepers. On the other hand, heavier sleepers need a mattress with a supportive foundation layer because they need loads of compression support.
Choose Non-Toxic Materials
People with autoimmune conditions, like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, encounter flares after exposure to household chemicals. That’s why you have to ensure that the mattress you choose doesn’t contain toxic ingredients like synthetic latex, plastics, and foam. These are petroleum-based chemicals and flame-retardant substances.
When choosing a mattress, check if it’s made of organic cotton, bamboo, and natural latex. Such material can help prevent different ailments and pain, especially in people with chronic illnesses.
While choosing the best mattress for your bedroom, makes sure that it is made of suitable and non-toxic materials. Select the mattress with adequate firmness after considering factors such as your sleeping position. Using these tips will make it easier for you to select the best mattress for your needs. A good mattress will help you sleep better and improve your overall health. If you want to buy a mattress and don’t have any cash right away, check Abunda for online mattress financing. And for more ideas check out this: decoration tips for a restful bedroom.