People have become health conscious and are not shying away from trying new methods to achieve their fitness goals. That has resulted in the latest innovation of new and happening items, like a supplement or even a fad diet hitting the market every few weeks. Although most of them are just hype and produce no results there are a few natural food items that are high in nutrition and can improve your health. One such fruit that is the talk of the town is Garcinia cambogia.
More about Garcinia Cambogia
This fruit has its origin from India and Southeast Asia and is known by many names: Vriksh amla, Kudampuli, Malabar tamarind, Cambogia Gemmi-Guta, Brindal berry, Tamarinier de Malabar, etc. The Garcinia Cambogia fruit grows on a small or a medium-sized tree that looks small in size and looks like a cross between a tomato and a pumpkin. It has a sweet-sour taste and is greenish-yellow in color. The fruit is found to have many health benefits and has been used in many South Asian countries while cooking. It is being termed as the ultimate fruit due to the various health benefits it offers.
How Does It Work On The Body?
The fruit Garcinia Cambogia is the most popular weight loss supplement with over a million people searching about it on the internet. The fruit is rich in a substance called HCA (hydroxy citric acid) that helps in weight loss. This substance has many medicinal uses and also used for many cosmetic treatments.
It is similar to the citric acid that is found in citrus fruits like lemons and oranges. The chemical composition of HCA is different from citric acid and hence offers various health benefits. As per https://www.patchmd.com, the effect of HCA prevents carbs from being stored as fat but gets converted into energy. That helps in the reduction of fat accumulation, especially in obese people.
As per the research conducted on hydro oxy citric acid for the past 2 decades, it is found that it partly blocks citrate lyase which is an enzyme. This enzyme is the one that converts starch to sugar and sugar to fat. When this enzyme is blocked the hypothesis is that it prevents the storage of carbs as fats and instead converts it into energy. Some studies were conducted on obese rats based on this hypothesis and found that the fruit reduces the piling of fats as the HCA contained in the fruit tricks the brain to send signals that the stomach is full.
Health Benefits Of Garcinia Cambogia
Garcinia Cambogia is a popular supplement in the market not just because it is a natural extract but also because it has very little side-effects and is easily digestible. Here are some of the health benefits.
- Weight loss: One of the reasons for the popularity of this fruit is because it aids in weight loss. As per studies conducted by the Food and Chemical Toxicology on rats, it was found that the fruit helped in fighting against the accumulation of body fats. Another study conducted by Bioscience and Biochemistry discovered that the fruits reduced the accumulation of visceral fat in rats. This shows that the fruit supplement can be beneficial for weight loss provided it is had in the right dosage. The HCA in Garcinia Cambogia blocks the enzyme that stores the calories and converts it to fat. It aids in the conversion of calories into glycogen which is used for muscle building. Either the fruit can be consumed directly or supplements made from the fruit peel can be used for weight loss.
- Can fight HIV: HIV is a deadly disease and can kill an infected person if not diagnosed and treated properly. This deadly virus attacks the immune system and makes it weak and susceptible to various other diseases. It has been found that Garcinia Cambogia has properties that can attack the virus and kill it. As per research, a compound called Garcinol is present in the fruits which can kill the virus and help in the patient’s recovery from HIV.
- Reduces fatigue: Chronic fatigue is a problem many people are facing. It is a condition caused by certain enzymes that reduce metabolism and makes you feel tired and lazy all the time. It is found that people who regularly consume this fruit, felt energetic because the HCA found in it blocks the enzymes that cause fatigue and improves the metabolism. That, in turn, will enhance the stamina and leads to more energy in a person which results in a healthy lifestyle.
- Curbs cravings: The HCA in the fruit not only improves the metabolism and increases weight loss but is also useful in curbing the appetite. It sends satiating signals to the brain and that, in turn, means that you feel full. Studies show that HCA increases serotonin levels and hence there are fewer food cravings and reduces chances of snacking as there is less appetite. So consuming this helps curb appetite.
- Reduces cholesterol levels: As per a study, using Garcinia Cambogia can help in lowering cholesterol levels especially in obese people. There are certain compounds in the fruit that helps in increasing good cholesterol and reducing bad cholesterol thereby reducing the chances of heart diseases.
- Reduces stress: The HCA helps in regulating the cortisol levels which is a stress hormone. Garcinia Cambogia reduces cortisol levels and helps in treating anxiety and stress as there are some organic compounds that aid in releasing the pleasure hormones. That helps in treating depression too. The fruit can also reduce oxidative stress and boost the functioning of all the organs in the body.
Finding fresh fruit is challenging in many countries but finding the right supplement is easier. The fruit extracts are available in the market and are extremely popular. But while purchasing a supplement ensure that it contains at least 50% HCA to get the benefits that are mentioned above. Moreover, it should be taken in the right doses by incorporating it into your diet.