Craft your own rustic Christmas Scrabble tile ornaments with this easy DIY tutorial. Use letter tiles from an old game or buy new ones. In recent years there have been several craft ideas spring up on the internet using Scrabble tiles including pendant necklaces, coasters, decorated picture frames, and of course ornaments like I’m sharing with you here.
Did you know?
Many Americans are familiar with the classic game of Scrabble. But, did you know that wasn’t it original name. According to Britannica it was created in 1931 by architect Alfred M. Butts, the game started as Criss Cross. Inspired by crossword and anagram puzzles the players use a 225 block board. Then, in 1948 it was renamed Scrabble and marketed by James Burnot. It didn’t get its start in the United States but actually in Great Britain. Today the game is available in several languages, including Braille.
I would imagine neither Butts or Burnot ever imagine that these wood game pieces would become a popular craft supply to make Christmas tile ornaments or any craft for that matter. That’s something I love about arts & crafts: you can create such wonderful things from the most surprising everyday things.
Crafting Your Christmas Scrabble Tile Ornaments
All projects have better luck of coming out as planned with you prepare ahead of time before starting. That means gathering your supplies first. Here’s a list of what you need for this DIY project.
- Scrabble Tiles (Amazon)
- Homespun Fabric (Amazon)
- Twine (Amazon)
- Large craft sticks (Amazon)
- Holiday greenery (Amazon)
- Decorative Ribbon (Amazon) Choose whatever style you like, the link takes you to a nice variety package.
- Craft Glue or Mod Modge (Amazon) I used Matte version. You can use Tacky Glue or School Glue.
- Craft brush (Amazon) I always like to keep some of the on hand in my craft supply stash!
- Scissors (Amazon) Tip: Keep a pair of scissors for cutting fabric and ribbon only.
- Wire Cutter to trim down greenery stems. (Amazon)
- Glue Gun (Amazon)
Cut your piece of fabric approximately 5 ¼” x ¾”. Using your brush, cover your popsicle/craft stick in the Mod Modge or glue.
Wrap the fabric around it. Tuck the fabric in at the rounded corners and clip any excess fabric. Cover the entire stick in the Mod Modge or glue. Allow to dry completely (for about 30 minutes to an hour.)
Using your Glue gun or Tacky glue, apply your Scrabble tiles and holiday greenery. (You may need to trim the greenery stem prior to gluing in place.) Turn the stick over and apply a dime size drop of glue to the top about 1” down and secure the twine tie. Allow to dry completely before hanging on your tree. That’s all there is to it. This could not be any easier or more adorable!
- Make extra Christmas Scrabble tile ornaments to attach on gifts.
- Use different styles of fabric for different styles like Christmas print fabrics.
- Instead of Fabric use a strip of ribbon or paint the sticks with acrylic paint.
- Make the Scrabble ornaments extra rustic using some stain to antique the tiles.