Easy Tips to Get Rid of Mold From Your Home

 

Excessive levels of moisture in your home can lead to the formation of mold, which can not only damage walls but can also have severe consequences for your health. Even if you live in new housing, you may be affected by it.

The mold that can be found on the walls in our homes or on books kept in damp rooms is a gray or white powdery colony of filamentous fungi. It will turn black or brown if not removed immediately. After that, it looks like ordinary dirt, but it’s much more dangerous.

Mold and fungus can appear in even a newly renovated or built house or apartment, and their presence can cause many serious diseases.

Filamentous fungi developing on walls create mycotoxins that are dangerous to humans. Mycotoxins can cause acute and chronic poisoning (including fatal), allergies, mycoses, respiratory system diseases, and a weakening of the immunity. They are, like the name suggests, toxic.

As you see, it’s dangerous for your body, but if that wasn’t bad enough, it’s bad for your house. Mold penetrates deep into paint coatings and plasters, which causes loss of their cohesion, plaster falling off, discoloration, and crushing of inorganic materials.

In this article, we’ll show you how to effectively get rid of mold from various surfaces in your home.

Removal of Mold From Fabrics

Problems begin when the air becomes overly moist. This might be simply the climate you live in, or a consequence of flooding, even if your  whole house wasn’t affected. The symptoms may be unpleasant: for example, the sofa might start to smell strange and become covered with a gray layer of fungi. Fortunately, most textiles are successfully salvaged using oxygen bleach with water, which is the best mold remover mixture in this case.

If the fabrics are designed for dry cleaning only, wipe off most of the mildew, and contact a professional cleaner for special treatment of the material.

Cleaning Leather Furniture

If possible, try to take the furniture outside while cleaning. Use a cloth dipped in a solution of white vinegar and water. After that, treat the leather with soap intended for this type of material and wash the surface with water. Now use a clean cloth and leave it in the fresh air until it is completely dry.

Removing Mold From Interior Walls

If the mold on the walls becomes black, it means that it was present there for a long time. When you try to clean it, you may find that pieces of the wall fall off along with the mold that has damaged its structure. It may be necessary to clean the surface and repair the plaster thoroughly, and even replace parts of walls.

Do not forget to always wear gloves and a protective mask during such cleaning not to inhale the airborne spread fungus and dust particles.

You can use a mold remover spray as a cleaning agent. This allows you to reach places that are difficult to access. After spraying the surface, do not wash it off – open the windows, and let it dry.

Exterior Surface Cleaning

Chlorine bleach is best suited for cleaning the exterior of the house from mildew. However, you need to prepare very well for the cleaning process. There are usually lots of beautiful plants in front of the house. Unfortunately, this cleaning agent is very harmful to them. So do not forget to cover all the flowers and the lawn exposed to spraying with plastic wrap. Don’t forget to cover the soil, so nothing gets absorbed!

How to Prevent Mold Formation?

Prevention is always better than treatment. There are effective ways to ensure that you never have to deal with mildew at home again. You just need to remember a few important things:

Ventilation

Air your apartment daily, even for a few minutes. Good air circulation will help you maintain adequate humidity in the room and allow excess water vapor resulting from cooking, washing, or bathing to escape.

Also, remember to check ventilation regularly as it may have its filters clogged.

Control the Water System in the Building

Don’t forget to check the plumbing in your house or apartment from time to time. You will then be sure that the pipes, taps, or hoses in the bathroom and kitchen do not leak and do not cause mold.

Conclusion

Moisture in your home is an invisible threat to the health of your entire family. As a result, mold develops and can cover most of the building’s finishing and thermal insulation materials. It is essential to stop mold growth before it begins to spread dangerously. Please get rid of it as soon as possible, using the most effective and proven methods.

There are many agents available on the market that kill mold effectively. You can also use more natural ways, such as a vinegar solution with water or baking soda with borax. If you notice mold in your home, kill it as soon as possible so that you can breathe healthy air.

Similar Posts