Love can make you do many things, including focusing your mind and effort on looking and feeling good. However, losing weight when you are in love is not all about your intention to look good, says Megan Ayala, but your love hormones also play an important role.
Being in love can help you lose weight because your body releases oxytocin, a hormone released when kissing, cuddling, and having sex. Oxytocin also stops the release of stress hormones, like cortisol, which cause the body to store fat. You also eat less when in love and more when stressed.
Many people wait to lose weight before getting into the dating scene. If you are doing this, you are doing it wrong. Love will make you lose weight even without you trying too hard. Initially, you may not even notice that you are losing weight.
Can Falling In Love Cause You To Lose Weight?
Falling in love is not just incredible for your emotional well-being but your physical health as well. Normally, you want to look your best when you are with the one you love. This feeling will help you make decisions that will help you lose weight.
Falling in love can cause you to lose weight because you subconsciously choose healthy meals to help you lose weight. Love hormones (oxytocin) also leave you feeling so good that you do not need comfort food. Oxytocin also gets you excited about your lover, and intimacy will help you lose weight.
Oxytocin also makes you more sensitive to insulin while you eat. You will eat less, and your body will show it. Intimacy, especially with someone you love, can be fulfilling in mind and body. Sex helps with weight loss, but it is more so with someone you love.
What Love Does To Your Body
Sometimes, it feels like only your heart is involved when you are in love. However, you cannot separate what you feel from your body’s reaction to love. The body’s response to love varies from person to person. However, there are similarities evident in people who are in love.
- Falling in love messes with your hormones. If you were experiencing some difficulty and were stressed before you fell in love, you probably had an overload of stress hormones. These hormones are associated with depression. Most people suffering from anxiety or depression often binge eat to feel better. Now that you are in love, your body releases oxytocin, which can cause loss of appetite.
- Love increases your sex drive. When you fall in love, you look forward to being with the person you love all the time. Initially, your body will yearn for intimacy with the person all the time, which will impact your body weight, even if the change will be subtle.
- Your creative spirit may come alive. When you don’t have someone to do certain things with, you may not have the urge to go hiking or camping. You were probably quite comfortable going to work and coming back home every day without feeling like something was missing in your life. Now that you have found love, you suddenly want to explore other interests, which may help you lose weight.
- It increases awareness of your flaws. Love makes you more critical of your appearance and what you wear. You suddenly want to update your wardrobe and notice styles that make you look good. The sudden interest in your body may force you to do something about your weight, and when you have a goal, your endurance is limitless.
Why You Are Less Hungry When In Love
Have you noticed that you don’t eat as much or as often as you did before love came your way? Here are the reasons you are less hungry when you fall in love.
- Oxytocin suppresses your appetite, so you eat less often.
- You probably eat less because you don’t remember to eat.
- You have someone and other things to preoccupy your time and mind.
- You are more careful about what you eat because you want to keep looking good.
- You are so excited that you spend more time thinking of your loved one.
For most people, love has to do with the heart. However, it also affects the body. Your body reads your emotions, and it will respond to those feelings by releasing love hormones. Likewise, when unhappy or stressed, the body releases stress hormones. The changes in your emotions and body reflect your feelings, so it is not surprising that you lose weight when you fall in love.