Hiring a handyman is often needed to take care of projects around the home. If you have wondered how much it costs to hire one, Angi, formerly Angie’s List, can help. The average cost of hiring a handyman is anywhere from $400 to $600, depending on the job that you have them do. However, there are different ways to figure out how much a handyman costs.
Handyman Hourly Rate
It’s common for a handyman to charge a flat hourly rate for their services. This rate often depends on the area that you live in, with rural areas generally costing less than urban ones. The handyman’s hourly rate can be anywhere from $60 to $125 for each hour. The cost of materials, as well as traveling costs, may be added to this hourly amount. Different types of projects require a different number of hours to complete, so your full cost depends a lot on what you have done and how long the project will take. A project may take only one hour, or it might be a project that requires several days to complete.
Average Costs of Specific Handyman Projects
Your project with a handyman in Avondale (or wherever you are) can average as little as $65 or as much as $1,200 depending on what you want to be done. Getting a light bulb changed can cost very little while repairing something like cabinets or installing weather stripping may cost much more. The project and handyman costs often depend on the scope of the job, the size of the job, its location, and the materials that will be needed.
- When you need a light fixture installed, it can be a complicated process, but it doesn’t take that long to do. Expect to pay an average of $65 to $125 for this job.
- Installing a bathroom sink, as long as you have already bought the sink, will cost an average of $100 to $150.
- Installing a sink in the kitchen will cost much more, as they may include garbage disposals as well as more than one basin. Expect to pay an average of $300 to $500 to have one installed.
- If you are hiring a handyman to paint a room, you will likely pay an average of $100 for each room plus an hourly rate of about $25. If you have not already bought the paint, you will have to pay for that as well.
- Cabinet repair is a common job for a handyman. This type of repair will cost an average of $300. If you want your cabinets refinished, this is a very long and involved process, and you will pay an average of $3,000 for that.
- Fixing tile and grout can be costly, averaging about $450. If you have expensive tile like marble, expect to pay more than this for the job.
The Scope of the Project
One of the factors in the cost of a project is its scope. Many handymen specialize in a specific type of project, and they may charge more for this because they are so good at it. They may charge less for a project that they find complicated. However, some charge just the opposite. They may charge less for what they’re good at, as it takes less time and more for a project that they will find difficult to do. The scope of the project often depends on the handyman that you hire.