“Chicken Birria Tacos” is a Mexican dish that is traditionally made with beef. Here we’ll show you how to make tacos with chicken instead.
The preparation of this dish will typically include browning the meat and then simmering it in a broth until its tender before taking the mixture and adding in spices and different seasonings like cumin, cayenne pepper, coriander, garlic powder, and dried oregano. The liquid from the simmering is then mixed with tomatillo sauce for more flavors before being poured over tortilla chips to create your tacos.
This recipe is easy to make and will make great chicken birria tacos for any special occasion. Let’s find out.
- Four large (18-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed into 1-inch pieces
- Three tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of lard or Crisco shortening for frying the tortillas
- One 10.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot chili powder or to taste (I used around two teaspoons)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 3 teaspoons)
- 4 cups of beef broth (I used chicken broth)
- To prepare the dish, you’ll need to first heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add chicken pieces and fry until the chicken is browned (usually about 5 to 7 minutes). Next, add 1/4 cup of lard and let it melt in the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes until fully melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add meat, stirring occasionally, and cook until browned all over (about 5 to 7 minutes). Add 1/4 cup of lard and let it melt completely into the pan.
- Next, add tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth, and lime juice, and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Stir in garlic cloves a couple of times during cooking (around 2 minutes).
- In the meantime, heat beef broth in the microwave until hot or on the stovetop until ready to use.
- Add hot beef broth to tomatoes along with chili powder. Mix well, and then add cooked chicken pieces. Stir a couple of times to combine everything. Cover and simmer for about eight more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to sit for a couple of minutes before boning, shredding, or cutting into small pieces, depending on what you prefer. Serve warm with shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and/or anything else that your tacos will be accompanied by (fajita lime rice is another great option as well!).
Now you have some Chicken Birria Tacos! Bon Appetit. Enjoy your meal.