In recent years, the overall cost of solar energy has been reduced due to the major improvements in the sector. The efficiency and also the quality of manufacturing have surely increased over the last couple of years as have the number of solar energy jobs. Consumers are now looking at solar energy as a viable alternative to mainstream sources of electricity.
As solar energy becomes widely known among consumers, it is very much essential to know the working method of such panels and how solar energy is being produced as well. With the help of this in-depth article, you’ll come to know-how.
The Working Procedure For Solar Panels
The main job of the solar panels, provided by solar companies in Brisbane services, is to make sure that sunlight is absorbed with the help of the photovoltaic cells, present inside the panels. This allows the solar panels to simply generate DC or Direct Current electricity and then convert it into AC or Alternating Current electricity, which can then be used by regular electrical appliances.
The current is converted from DC to AC with the help of inverter technology. Check out 12vdc power supplies to learn more about how it helps you with your power supplies needs.
The AC electricity then flows through the solar system into the electric panel in your home and is thus accordingly distributed. The following are some of the major steps that take place during this procedure:
- With the help of photovoltaic cells, the energy of the sun is first converted into DC energy.
- The inverter technology in the solar power system converts the DC energy into AC energy, which can then be used by electrical appliances.
- The AC energy then passes through the electrical system of your home.
- If you produce excess electrical energy, it is then sent to the power grid, for which you will also be paid as well.
The Technical Workings
A solar panel consists of many silicon cells placed within it. Silicon is a non-metal having various conductive properties. This allows the silicon cells to absorb and convert the sunlight to regular electricity. When sunlight falls on the silicon cells, it allows the electrons inside it to cause motion which in-turn generates electricity by producing a flow of electric current. You can find out about elcb and how much electricity a solar panel can produce from this in-depth article.
The process is also known as the photovoltaic effect.
The Basics About Photovoltaic Effect
The Photovoltaic Effect is defined as the process by which solar panels are used to create electricity. The process was first discovered in the year 1839 by a scientist is known as Edmond Becquerel. It was then known as the characteristic property of certain elements, which were also known as semiconductors. It helped such elements to generate electricity with the help of sunlight.
The process of the Photovoltaic Effect works in the following way:
The solar cells containing silicon absorb all the available solar radiation.
- When the rays of the sun interact with the cell made from silicon, the electrons present inside it starts to move and therefore generate an electric current.
- Electrical wires carry this DC energy to the connected inverter to help convert it into AC energy.
The Connection Of Solar Panels With The Power Grid
Even though the working of solar panels might make sense to the consumers, there’s still a lot of confusion regarding the introduction of the power grid.
When you obtain electrical supply from your electricity provider, the electrical supplier will install a utility meter into your home. When you install your solar energy system, the system will also be connected to the same utility meter. The utility meter will also have a net metering facility as well. When your solar power system overproduces solar energy, the same energy is then sent back through the utility meter into the power grid. This will be done as an exchange of credits on your actual electricity bill that you’ve obtained from your electricity supplier.
This extra credit can be used to draw additional power from the power grid when your house will demand more electricity. The use of a net meter aids in being a storage solution for consumers who convert from using traditional electricity to a renewable source of electricity. The extra electricity credit could come in handy when there are days without sunlight or your area, in particular, is experiencing bad weather. Incentives like these make the adoption of solar energy a lot easier and more effective.
Reasons To Invest In Solar Panels
- You want to reduce your dependence on fossil fuels and use solar power as a way to fight air pollution and global warming.
- You need to be self-sufficient in the production of electricity and want to be independent of the power grid of your electricity supplier.
- There is an urgent need to protect yourself from any abrupt increase in the overall price per unit of electricity supplied from your electricity provider.
- You have financial reasons to reduce your electricity utility bill and therefore save money in the long run as well.
- Finally, it has always been your hobby to use solar energy, and therefore investing in solar panels is the easiest way to do it.