Individuals managing or treating certain health conditions usually have to monitor their blood pressure at regular intervals and keep a record of each measurement. Considering this, many manufacturers have introduced portable digital blood pressure machines which allow you to track your changing blood pressure throughout the day at the comfort of your home. Measuring your blood pressure at home is part of managing your health.
What are the features you must look for in your digital blood pressure monitor?
The cuff size of your blood pressure machine should be appropriate to fit an arm of any dimension. You can also take help from your doctor or nurse to choose the size of your machine as the wrong sized cuff can give you wrong blood pressure readings. Moreover, the price range of your digital blood pressure monitor is also a key factor and may vary from brand to brand. Look around before buying it to find the best deals.
How would you know if your monitor is giving accurate readings?
After buying your device, it is advisable to get it checked by the doctor periodically for its accuracy. Moreover, you can check for any cracks or leaks in the tube that pumps air into the cuff to make sure everything is working fine. Ensure that tubes are not twisted when you store them and keep the machine away from heat. Furthermore, have a doctor or nurse assist you with using your blood pressure monitor correctly.
What should you keep in mind before measuring your blood pressure?
- Wait at least half an hour after eating, smoking, or having alcohol or caffeine products.
- If you feel even a little pressure, use the bathroom and empty your bladder.
- Rest for a few minutes and avoid talking to calm yourself.
Steps to use the digital blood pressure monitor:
- Sit in a comfortable position with your back supported and elevate your arm with the wrist support on a table or a desk.
- Wrap the cuff around your upper arm 1 inch above the elbow. Make sure there is no clothing between the cuff and your arm. The cuff shouldn’t be too tight or too loose, and there should be enough space for you to slip a fingertip under the cuff.
- Turn on the power to start the device.
- As soon as your digital BP monitor starts, the cough will start inflating automatically.
- After the cuff inflates to a certain limit, the automatic device will let out all the air in the cuff.
- The readings of your blood pressure will be displayed on the display screen of the machine.
- Note down the readings, along with the time you checked your blood pressure.
- If you wish to repeat the measurement, wait at least 2 to 3 minutes before doing so.
When should you see a doctor?
You can periodically visit your doctor to show the readings as well as get your blood pressure checked by them once in a while to ensure that your monitor works fine and you are on the right track. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, it can also be a sign of fluctuating blood pressure which requires the immediate attention of a doctor. Moreover, if you get high or low readings consecutively, it can be life-threatening, and you must contact your doctor immediately.