Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means we earn a commission when you purchase through these links.
While many household molds prove to be benign, there are a few that can be detrimental to your physical and mental health. Mold allergies are quite common, and in a lifetime, many people do not encounter toxic mold, but when you do, you must know the symptoms and act quickly to avoid any long-standing damage to your health. Mold exposure can make you very, very sick, and render you virtually unable to even get out of bed. Some molds are so dangerous that if you have them growing in your house, you must evacuate and will unlikely never be able to return. They can grow on your clothes, your walls, your ceiling, and even in your toilet.
How Can I Get My Mould Removed?
Whether your mold is toxic or not, you should always get it checked out before attempting to remove it yourself. For more information on mold removal visit this site, as mold removal is nothing to play about with. Attempting to remove mold yourself can end up seeing you poisoning yourself and by directly exposing yourself to toxic mold causing serious and negative health effects that can ruin your life.
What Symptoms Should I Look Out For?
When suffering from symptoms potentially caused by mold exposure, it is important to rule out whether or not they are exactly that. There are many molds that are harmless, and exposure would cause no ill health but many molds can, unfortunately. It is important to rule out whether your symptoms relate directly to mold growth in your home, or are a symptom of something else, for example a cold, flu, or viral infection, as oftentimes mold exposure directly mimics these types of illnesses and diseases. Mould infection is not easy to spot.
Consult a Clinician If You Cannot Breathe and have Malaise
One of the most common symptoms of mold exposure is an inability to breathe. This condition is called dyspnoea and is often associated with toxic mold exposure. The spores released by toxic mold can get into your airways and make you feel as if you are suffocating and cannot breathe. Many times, a sensation of being unable to breathe attributed to toxic mold exposure, will also be accompanied by general feelings of fatigue or overwhelming malaise.
These two symptoms are largely un-ignorable and cannot be put to the side and dismissed. Should you suffer from these symptoms it is urgent you contact your clinical physician to rule out anything else, and then receive treatment for your health problems and have the mold addressed.
Fever Should Never Be Ignored
When potentially suffering from toxic mold exposure you should never ignore a fever. A fever, when combined with mold, can be a symptom of a much larger inflammatory problem in response to the mold. It is true, toxic mold can kill you, and a fever is a sign that things are not going very well. Many times people will experience no ill effect from mold exposure, some will have mild symptoms, and other extreme inflammatory responses.
A fever, generally, is always a sign that there is a problem afoot, and whether you suffer a low-grade fever or a high-grade fever, any inflammatory response to mold is indicative of an extremely bad response to toxic mold poisoning. Your clinician will be able to rule this out, but it is important you go to him immediately, especially if you have noticed an abundance of mold growth throughout your home and over your property, whether inside or outside.
A Dry Cough
A dry cough is perhaps the most common symptom of toxic mold exposure. A dry cough is often nothing serious, but on occasion can be related directly to the harmful effects of toxic mold poisoning. The spores can enter your airways and cause an inflammatory response which will cause you to cough frequently. Any dry cough for a prolonged period of time should be addressed immediately to rule out any more insidious reasons, such as cancer, or COPD. Notwithstanding, a dry cough is often nothing serious. However, a dry cough is often the first symptom indicative of toxic mold exposure, and if left untreated can go on to cause you all manner of health problems, some that can render you hospitalized or potentially kill you. Toxic mold is not a joke.
As aforementioned it is important that you never address mold yourself and always employ a contractor to do it for you. There are people whose jobs are strictly to remove mold, and it is best left to professionals with an abundance of experience to do the work for you.
Removing toxic mold yourself can lead to serious health issues if not done properly, and can also cause the mold to spread further through your house, which of course would be very unwanted. So, with your family’s health and yours in mind: leave it to the professionals, please.