Aside from fresh breath, we all want to have perfect teeth. To have perfect teeth means having straight or aligned teeth that are white and free from discoloration. This article will show you how to achieve an ideal smile with those white and bright teeth.
What is teeth whitening?
As its name suggests, teeth whitening is a product with chemicals or ingredients that aid in whitening your teeth. There are a lot of teeth whitening products in the market. Some teeth cleaning processes also claim to have a whitening effect on your teeth. You can also buy some teeth whitening products from drugstores. Your dentist can also give you prescriptions on what is the best teeth whitening product you can use.
But did you know that not all of us can use teeth whitening products? This teeth whitening is perfect for the person whose teeth are healthy and have not undergone teeth restoration. Some people are born with yellowish teeth. They are an excellent candidate for teeth whitening products. So, before you use any whitening products, it is better to consult with your dentist first.
How does teeth whitening work?
The term “tooth whitening” refers to any procedure that should make teeth look whiter. The most commonly used method to achieve whiter teeth is the use of bleaching and non-bleaching whitening products.
When whitening products contain peroxide (hydrogen or carbamide), it effectively removes stains and makes teeth look whiter than their original state.
What causes teeth staining & discoloration?
A variety of factors can cause teeth stains and discoloration. A variety of foods and beverages can cause teeth stains. Likewise, tooth discoloration can also result from various genetic factors, including the tooth enamel’s transparency.
Various factors contribute to discolored teeth, some of which could have been avoided or controlled. The list below will assist you in determining the cause of discolored teeth. It includes:
- Food and Drink – Drinks such as coffee, tea, and even dark sodas, and red wine are proven to cause teeth discoloration. Likewise, fruits and vegetables, especially colored ones, are said to cause discoloration of your teeth. The color of these foods and drinks stains our teeth.
- Growing age – You cannot deny that tooth discoloration also increases as you age. It is because the outer coating of the tooth’s enamel becomes thin. And exposing the original yellowish color of the dentin, the tooth’s core tissue. Injuries to your teeth throughout your life might cause discoloration that becomes obvious as you age.
- Unhealthy oral habits – Poor oral habits also lead to teeth discoloration. Brushing your teeth three times a day will aid in teeth whitening. The stains from foods and beverages after each meal are removed when brushing your teeth. Imagine if you forgot to brush or rinse your teeth, and all the food debris is stuck on your teeth. It will cause stains that are difficult to remove.
- Tobacco chewing and smoking habits – Yes, you read it right. Tobacco chewing and smoking practices can increase the likelihood of your teeth staining because they weaken the enamel. The nicotine from tobacco causes the stain. Once you use nicotine products, it won’t be long before your teeth appear yellowish.
What Are the Teeth Whitening Options?
Most people can get a bright white smile only with teeth whitening. Here are three teeth whitening options you can choose from.
1) In-Office Bleaching
In-office bleaching is a word that refers to the dentist’s chairside treatment of stained dentition with high concentrations of oxidizing chemicals. The dentist uses bleaching products to treat teeth discoloration.
2) Dentist supervised a tray-based whitening system
Originally, the tray-based whitening system was done at home. The person does the process on their own. But in this method, the dentist supervises your activity if you follow the step-by-step procedure of the system.
How does it work:
- The dentist will make a bleaching tray that will fit your upper and lower teeth.
- To begin the procedure, a whitening gel is placed on the tray, and you will put the tray over your teeth to keep the gel in place.
- To be effective, the trays are worn for several hours a day that will last for weeks to achieve a whitening effect.
3) At-Home Bleaching from Your Dentist –
Your dentist can create a custom-fitted tray for at-home bleaching. Your dentist will give you instructions on adequately applying the bleaching solution to the tray and for how long. It may be a better option if you prefer to whiten your teeth in the comfort of your home but still need a dentist’s supervision.
What are the facts about tooth bleaching?
- Tooth bleaching does not affect the teeth health
The tooth becomes more sensitive, and the gingivitis is irritated when using teeth whitening products. These adverse effects are firmly because of the concentration of the peroxide bleach component, the time of treatment, and the non-bleach ingredients of the product used.
- Your teeth may not become perfectly white
Even if you are using teeth whitening products, you cannot have the assurance that it will turn to white perfectly. There are still factors that can affect teeth whitening.
- Cannot whiten caps, veneers, and restored teeth
You cannot find a teeth whitener, whether applied effect or at home, that works on caps, veneers, and restored teeth. These bleaching products are intended for use on natural tooth structures only.
A perfect smile is associated with youth, vigor, and health. Teeth naturally darken as we age. Although genetics, several factors can all influence the color of your teeth. You can still achieve a perfectly white smile with the aid of a teeth whitening system. Always consult your dentist before using any whitening system to avoid other problems that may arise. If you haven’t, we encourage that you check out this dentist Virginia Beach for a sound advice if teeth whitening is for you, and what would be the best option to achieve it.