Faulty electrical wiring is the cause of thousands of accidents across the world every day. Whether it’s an electrical appliance or a circuit inside a commercial building, damaged electrics can pose a serious safety risk.
Electricians are trained to identify potential hazards and fix damaged electrics to keep everyone safe. However, you don’t need to be a trained electrician to learn about the true dangers of faulty electrics.
When electrical wiring is old, worn, damaged, or broken in your home, the circuit can blow when you plug in your appliances. This may cause a small spark that is easily controlled but sparks aren’t the only thing to worry about when it comes to faulty electrics.
Plugging your appliance into a damaged circuit could also cause you to get electrocuted or might even lead to a fire if the spark is large enough.
What is an Electrical Hazard?
Electricity is a hazard in and of itself. An electrical circuit has the potential to cause a safety hazard even if it doesn’t appear to be damaged.
The severity of the hazard depends on where it occurred and what it caused. For example, a hazard that results in an electrical fire poses a high safety risk.
What Are the Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring?
It can often be difficult to spot the signs of faulty or damaged electrical wiring in your property. Most electrics are hidden in the walls and ceilings where they can’t be seen or tripped over.
However, you can self-inspect your home’s electrical circuits and you should be doing so on a regular basis. This is especially important if your home is more than 40 years old.
You should also keep an eye out for the following signs of faulty electrics:
- Appliances and plugs that feel hot after being plugged into the main wall socket
- Flickering lights
- Burning smell around your property
- Loose wall sockets with exposed wiring
- Damaged or broken electrical wires
If you spot any of these issues, you should resolve them as quickly as possible to reduce the risk of injuries to you and your family.
What Are the Dangers of Faulty Electrics?
Electrical hazards can cause injuries and even death in some cases. The most common causes of injury from faulty electrics are:
- Electric shock
- Electric burn
- Electric explosion
- Electrical fires
What Should You Do When You Suspect Your Electrics Are Damaged?
If you suspect your electrical wiring is faulty or damaged, you should call a qualified electrician immediately. You should take any immediate fire safety steps to reduce the risks of harm to you and your family.
They will use various tools and parts from https://www.bigelectricsupply.com/ to fix any issues and restore the electrical circuit to its fully functioning form. If the damage is irreparable, they may need to replace the whole circuit.
Unless you are a qualified electrician, you should never mess with the electrical wiring in your property by yourself. This is dangerous and could lead to you being harmed.