Whether you’re working from home full time or you’re just planning to use your home office for just a few hours every day, it is essential to make it a comfortable space with the best home office design possible. According to specialists at Proficiency Bespoke, your home should be a reflection of your personality and style. When it comes to your office, it should be all that and space where you are able to work effectively and efficiently.
As much as you might not be able to get rid of all of the distractions, you have the upper hand in creating yourself an inviting place where you can enjoy working. Before setting up your office, here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- How much space will I need?
- What type of work will I be doing in my space?
- Will there be anyone visiting my place of work? Say colleagues or clients maybe?
- What equipment will I need?
- Will I be making any phone calls or video calls?
- Will I need any storage for my materials or important files?
These are just a few of the questions that can help you know how you want your working space to look like. Below, we shall also have a look at some of the things you should put into consideration when choosing an appropriate design for your home office:
- Choosing an appropriate location. When selecting a spot to set up your workspace, you’d want to go for one that is far from the daily activities and distraction of your household. You should also ensure that you have adequate space to work comfortably and move freely.
- Ensure there’s proper lighting. You do not want to set up your office in a dark and cramped up space. Choose a location where you can get natural lighting and a nice view if possible. You can also have bright wall colours and mirrors to enhance the natural lighting in your office. For you to avoid shadows in the evenings you can have desk lights.
- Ensure there’s proper storage. Depending on your storage needs you’d want to have proper storage for your materials or files/documents. This can either be shelves or filing cabinets that you’ll be able to easily access. It will also be an easy way to declutter your space.
- Make sure your office is well equipped. From the wireless connection, printer, to a separate phone line for your office, you should ensure that your office has everything you’ll need for an efficient working space
- Choosing the right furniture. You should ensure that you choose a comfortable desk and chair. If you’ll be having any visitors in your office, you’d also want to have comfortable furniture to accommodate them.
These are just but a few of the important things you should consider. Others include choosing practical flooring for your office, incorporating green plants in your decor, need for any sound or heat insulation, and ensuring proper layout and organization of furniture among other things.
For more privacy, you can also opt for a garden office. You can also convert your loft into an office, or that awkward space under your staircase. An office doesn’t need to take up much space after all.
Incorporating second-hand furniture in your office
Just because you’re making your home office, you don’t necessarily have to go for new furniture. Using second-hand furniture can be a great and practical solution, especially if you’re on a tight budget. The guys at Rethink Your Furniture explain that you can save up to 70% by buying used furniture.
When we say used furniture, it doesn’t necessarily mean worn out, rusty furniture. No. this is furniture that is wholly functional and can be as good as new. From office desks, filing cabinets, to office chairs, what you choose depends on your needs.
Of course, when choosing your furniture, some of the things you should consider include their functionality as well as their ergonomic value among other things. Whenever you’re choosing the furniture your health and well-being should always come first.
You’d want to select the kind of furniture that will help you avoid the critical pain that comes with using uncomfortable furniture. The good thing with second-hand furniture, you can always have it revamped or modified to suit your space, making it a very cost-effective option.
With the tips discussed here, designing your home office won’t be a hard task at all. As long as you put everything into consideration, getting the most suitable design should be a hassle-free task.
Always ensure that your working space reflects your personality, style, and taste. With a serene and personalized office, your productivity will be positively impacted and you’ll enjoy working there.